Monday, December 20, 2010

The Weather. A Reflection

The Brits are known for talking about the weather. Hardly surprising given there's a lot to talk about. Snow here? Snow there? But also, there's a lot of disappointment with the weather. "I wish I lived somewhere warmer." "Why is it always raining?" "I hate the snow!"

Which brings us to where it all really started. The snow. On the whole I'm in favour on the stuff. On Friday it was gorgeous - floating down gently and settling like a dusting of icing sugar on a cake...and because everyone seems to think that the cold is something to be avoided at all costs, I even had a platform of virgin (no pun intended) snow to tromp around in while waiting for my train to depart. Now, I recognise the snow also causes problems - any kind of extreme is going to - but fundamentally the weather is the weather.

Excuse me if I'm stating the obvious, but I'm going to do it anyway - the Earth and its systems is a force far greater than the human race. Yes, we can do big impressive things but throw an earthquake, flood or volcano eruption our way and there's little if anything we can do about it. Likewise the weather: we can't even predict it fully, and yet expressing a preference for one sort or another, and it seems particularly the snow, can land one being branded selfish and uncaring of all those for whom this particular type of weather causes problems.

I acknowledge the problems. I wish people didn't have to face them. But they do. And me enjoying the snow / rain / wind / [insert your least favourite weather type here] isn't going to make those problems any less. I've never gone in for weather dances and I don't intend to start now.

So instead, I intend to enjoy it. Enjoy the chilly tromps home through the snow (ranging from "gritted and through to the pavement" through "muddy on top, white on the bottom" to "veritable layer of snow still in place and crunchy"). Marvelling at the beauty it gives to trees, roof tops, hills. And just generally enjoying it. And hoping there's still some lurking when I get back to a house I suspect still has some sledges to hand... :)

No comments: