Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Sea

It's been just over 5 months since I've been living by the sea full time. And it's been great. I walk to work along the seafront. I get blown hither and thither as I attempt to get home in a full blown gale (OK, maybe it's not a gale - but it's a pretty strong wind). I get soaked through on days when the rain decides to set in with a vengeance. But overall, I've been living by the sea!

As I was driving down on Friday evening starting about 10 days away I realised my overwhelming sense was "I'm driving away from the sea!" The thought amused me but I didn't put too much weight on it. And yet today I gave in and, after 3 days away, I have ended up looking out over a beach - this time in Weston-Super-Mare. I've always been fond of the sea but never realised it could take quite such a hold. Of course, I can survive without it...but given the choice I'd really rather be beside it. And, thankfully, the UK has a whole host of beach-side resorts to choose from, many of which are now rather down at heel and as such, perfect for a day tripper like me to take the air without hordes of other people.

But don't get me wrong - if I could encourage more people to take in the delights of a seaside break, I would! Whether it's coming to visit me in Morecambe or simply choosing a weekend by the sea in the UK rather than jumping on a flight to the continent, I think the great British seaside resort is under-rated and rather neglected. Right now I'm watching the last of the light fade from the sky as I look across the Bristol Channel. Clouds mask much of the land on the south coast of Wales but some twinkling lights (of Cardiff?) shine through and with the tide out the last of the light is reflecting in beautiful patterns on the remaining water on the exposed sand on the beach. Lights are coming on in the windows on Knightstone and the hum of the pub I'm in provides a sound backdrop. Who wouldn't want to be here?

And so my rather romantic and very deep-seated attachment to the sea continues. And this having spent 5 enjoyable hours at a gorgeous country estate (Tyntesfield House). You can take the girl from the sea, but you can't take the sea from the girl.

No comments: