Thursday, December 6, 2012

From the Sublime to the Ridiculous - and back again

The title of this post had already been decided upon. And now is even more fitting because I have been presented with a single-portion-jam-size-glass-jar-of-tomato-ketchup. Craziness! Apt for the setting, but crazy.

Yesterday's indulgence: time at a spa hotel pool, steam and sauna. Today's: some meandering around in my car without entirely knowing where I was going, ending up in a posh hotel overlooking the sea, the sunset and the sky. I just fancied somewhere to unwind in calm surroundings (check), on a big sofa (check), without too many other people (check). It seems I may get turfed out in the not entirely distant future for a pre-booked event they have on (furniture is being moved in preparation for a band and dance floor) but for the mean time I can just sit and enjoy myself.

It seems I have a threshold for amusing myself, by myself, and it's certainly less than a week. Earlier today I had the chance for a proper explore at the Lost Gardens of Heligan and, well, wow. The amount of work that's gone into it is truly awe inspiring - both the work of the original gardens in creating it in the first place, and the work of the team who have been restoring and continuing to develop it since it's rediscovery back in the 90s. I had a wander around the Jungle area today and there's a boardwork round the whole area - which is both fun and a LOT of boardwalk! Counterposed with this morning's reading (a classic text on permaculture) today has been a very gardeny/greenery filled day. The escape to somewhere to simply take in the day and round it off was beginning to feel like a lost cause but has been delightfully fulfilled by The Carlyon Hotel. And, even better - with the price of a pot of tea being £3.50, having a hot water and a portion of chips (at a mere £3) was a much more sensible option. Huzzah.

Overall, today's thought for the day has been that of what, to me, counts as a holiday. And that although I really do enjoy Doing, this week in particular has seen a lot of space to think - or not think, as the case may be. What the end result of said time out will be I'll only know when I'm back in the thick of things next week but it's a rather pleasant place to be, either way.

No comments: