Sunday, July 24, 2011

On the mend. Hopefully.

I'm really lucky in that, more often than not, I'm in good health. Yes, I suffer from the odd bit of hayfever and have had a couple of interesting health experiences in the past, but normally not much gets me down.

This week was the exception.

Wednesday I first noticed something was awry and I suspected a cold. Went to the steam room, felt a lot better, pressed ahead with Thursday. Thursday was OK and although a gamble, I proceeded with an evening out - by the end of which said cold had made a definite come back. Friday was a joke (among other things I managed to call my boss not only by a name that wasn't his, but by a name that wasn't even the right gender. In an interview) and I crawled home about 4pm. No steam on Friday as it was boys-only night. Boo. Crawled into bed feeling very sorry for myself and hoping rest would do the trick.

Ha. As if. Woke up on Saturday feeling only marginally better - and definitely not of the magnitude I was expecting after a big ol' chunk of sleep. Dragged myself out of bed thinking from 10.30 it was boys only again. It wasn't. But I made it there, felt a bit better, then went on a "things that might make me better" spending spree before collapsing back home. Some "flu plus" tablets made the day tolerable but by 3pm it was clear that moving further than my little flat really wasn't going to happen - all remaining plans for the weekend got cancelled (which was a real shame but in reality the only option...other than going out, being really ill and potentially making others ill which, in my mind, isn't an option) and the day was spent on the sofa.

And on a brief aside, I'm now convinced this sofa was the best investment I've made, pound for pound. I love it. It makes my life better. It makes being ill better. It has scatter cushions and is deeper than your average sofa. It works in my living room and gives me a cosy corner. Ace.

So this morning. Woke up not as filled full of bung as I had been yesterday - but still feeling pretty wiped out. Part of me wants to get up and get on - part of me is still really tired and, mainly, worried about doing too much and ending up ill and pathetic again. Or am I being over-protective of myself? Oh, who knows.

More importantly, tho', why this whingey "I've been ill" epic? Because it's made me value my health and also recognise what I don't have. While out buying provisions yesterday (and moving around at snail's pace - which is always a good sign of an ill Tigger) the chap in front of me was purchasing similar bits and pieces for his "wife - she's got a bad case of Man Flu. Never seen her like this before". And yet there I was, trawling around the the bits myself. Cooking up potions on my return home (a further reinforcement of my state yesterday was, at the end of the day, realising I'd consumed a bulb of garlic without particularly noticing. This morning, doing some washing up, I certainly noticed the garlic. Crikey - definitely no vampires in this house). Hobbling off to bed. Urg.

The "good old days" of community and several generations of family living in one home in no way were perfect all the time - and I know if I was really really ill to the point of being unable to look after myself there are people I could call on or get myself to. But for that middle ground, that "I'd like someone to look after me but I'll survive if they don't" time, for then I just get my own company.

And actually, that's OK. It's a bit mis at times, but only fleetingly - and let's face it, yesterday I was more interested in distraction (hurrah for the internet and DVDs) than the ideal family unit. In fact, the pro was that although I was sadly unable to get to a friend's anniversary celebration I wasn't putting anyone else out. At least when I was cooking I didn't have to worry about providing for anyone else.

So really, it's just another reflection on my life - how I live it, and how it differs, or is the same, as the rest of the world.

Oh, and the fact that something really wasn't right if a cold wiped me out like this! And there was me thinking I wasn't all that tired... go self-awareness, Tigs.

No comments: