Friday, July 8, 2011

Life's better by bike...

 ...and by the sea, of course. I'm not cycling much at the moment. Cycling has always been a means to an end (or more specifically, a destination) and just now my destinations are either close enough for walking or too far to be enjoyable or desireable by bike, or involving lots of hills. Often a combination of the aforementioned. So by strange providence (the foibles of Sunday morning trains) it was that I found myself leaving dear little Hafilax abode with Billy in tow and freewheeling down the hill to the station. Mhaaaaaarvellous.

But what I hadn't quite anticipated was how brilliant it would be to be with bicycle when I got off the train this evening into the gloaming of a threatening cloudy sky in Morecambe. It's trying to rain – I'm sitting on the prom ignoring it (and hoping my laptop does too). It's certainly grey and cloudy. But it also shows promise of the sun that's behind. And let's face it, when it's still positively light (no need for bike lights in the slightest) at nine in the evening, anything goes.

Yet again I was floored by the seascape here. The tide is about half way out, the pools of water (seawater? Rain? Both?) still lingering on the flats. My little patch of sand distinctly orange against the dark grey of the rocks, the steel blue of the sea and the lush green of the reeds and other plants which have found shelter form the tides in the “cove” that's just by my house. Above, the many greys of the clouds – from almost white to blue, dark greys, light greys and all greys in between. The muted colours of the shores of Cumbria on the other side. The red of the prom between me and the beach.

I have never understood why this seems to be such a hidden treasure in plain sight. This being the views from Morecambe out across the bay. As I sit here on a mild July evening I can see one other soul. I've had a dog walker pass and a couple out for a walk who were behind the seawall!) but overall the prom is deserted. The cars continue to go to and fro on the road behind me but this view seems forgotten by all.

It always takes my attention. Draws me in. Shows me a new view – the constantly changing sea and sky and ambience. But here I am getting distracted from bicycles...

So yes, bicycles. I think I need more bicycling in my life. Not huge amounts, but just a bit more. Perhaps I need to overcome my anti-hill stance (might help while living in a valley. Shame I can't just up sticks to Morecambe more permanently at the moment – seaside is flat!) or perhaps I just need to get clever about routes. Whichever way I look at it, I really do enjoy the feeling of the freedom of a bicycle.

But moreover I enjoy, nay adore the freedom and liberation I get from staring at Morecambe Bay. Absolutely mesmerising. Even more so when I find myself tired and my brain running on empty. The best way to enjoy something which fundamentally words cannot describe.

Today's most interesting revelation about the bay, however, is about my enjoyment of it. Somehow I can sit here and drink it in for so much longer when my company is but my own. I love sharing this view with friends but somehow feel there then has to be something to Do. Be it a coffee or a cocktail, I somehow find myself pulled away from the simplicity of sitting gazing at the sea. Why that would be escapes me somehow. Possibly my own insecurities about “entertaining” friends when they come to visit. Perhaps they simply won't enjoy gazing at the sea. A misplaced view of what other people enjoy? Or something else entirely. I don't know. But an interesting one to mull on.

No comments: