Wednesday, April 30, 2014

When words fail...pictures come through!

I'm just back from an amazing and full and rich couple of weeks in Scotland. And my head is a bit blurry but absolutely buzzing! A good night's rest is the final ingredient to make sure the transition back into "Life in Morecambe" is as smooth as possible but I had a yearning to take a look through my photos so thought I'd do a bit of a gallery of some of my adventures...

So, it all started...with a traffic jam trying to cross the Forth Road Bridge. But enough of boring traffic: destination numero uno was the Monimail Tower Project, complete with historic tower, woods, various wooden buildings and shed moving (yes, that's a shed being picked up by a digger about to be relocated...):

The return of the feet - relaxing at the end of a day enjoying the evening sunshine
Welcome to Monimail!
The dome at the entrance
Looking through a new partially constructed building towards the orchard




The gateway through into the walled garden

View of the community allotments from the tower

The walled garden

Shed in transit!

Community allotments again - and a bit of the tower!

Looking across one of the wood stores and walled garden towards the main house

Another view from the top of the tower


My day off at Monimail (which I wrote about here) involved beaches, trees, sunshine, an ice house and an oil rig:

Dunes!



Not desertey - but definitely duney!

Unexpected sculptures in the undergrowth

The ice house

An oil rig on its way out to sea


From whence I was over to Tillicoultry for a lovely catch up with an old friend (who I hadn't seen for eight years! How did that happen?!), up to Forfar for a bit of teaching, across to Pitlochry to see family, a bit of time at The Hermitage as I journeyed south enjoying the amazing waterfall and then...to Laurieston Hall! Which involved more sunshine (yippee!), hanging out on the roof (well, I was just on the roof - companions got to hang from ropes on chimneys), taking photos of taking photos, and heaps of other stuff I didn't manage to take photos of (like swimming in the loch, using the sauna and amazing pond plunge pool, helping build a woodshed, working in the walled garden, digging drainage ditches, giving lots of Massage, getting a shiatsu treatment, playing Bananagrams and enjoying LOTS of great conversation and amazing food)

The weather vane - which apparently hasn't moved for decades!

Chris and Flis working on the chimney stack

The walled garden from the roof

The original "formal entrance" from the roof

The roof...from the roof!

The West Wing and tower

Photos of photographers (and my feet again)

Not a complete photographic record by a long shot, but a good start!