Sunday, January 12, 2014

What a Wanderful Place

This morning, via a non-existent work party and the introduction to The Art of War, I have found myself exploring the wonders (and wanders) of Arnside Knott. And I have to say: I'm smitten.

Arnside Knott combines so many things I love - hilly undulations, the sea, trees, space, people enjoying being out and about, all sorts of flora and fauna...and it's virtually on my doorstep! I am far from being a familial trailblazer in this particular spot (my father having come here as a 16 year old) but I feel like I could come back here over and over and over again and find different paths let alone a constantly changing growth-scape.

And the wanderability of it is glorious. There are the obvious "main paths" and lots of "sub paths" but you're never a million miles from a sign that'll help you get your bearings if, like me, you're just wandering around with a vague plan of where you're heading but nothing set in stone. Admittedly, I had great fun perusing an Explorer OS map before setting out so have a bit of a picture in my head, but knowing I don't have to keep referring back to the map to make sure I'm not massively veering off track is wonderful. The rather significant features of the landscape help as well.

I came out without my camera this morning so have no illustrative photos, but I've come across some beautiful trees on my meanderings. Twisting and winding, straight up or curling around for reasons no longer apparent, these are trees that withstand some mighty winds and are mostly left to their own devices to come up with a path of growth that suits them. One tree in particular stands out - one of the major limbs (about a foot in diameter) had been torn (presumably by the wind) but had not completely sheered off, leaving an amazing section close to the trunk where the fibres of the branch had split into thick "sinews" - still attached at either end but with gaps  right the way through to the other side. That one in particular I think a photo would have done more justice to than I can in words.

And with lots of echoes of one of the fundamental principles of permaculture bouncing around in my head (that of observation) I've been enjoying lots of moments of stopping, being still and just taking in the scene around me. Another wonderous aspect of The Knott. Relatively untamed natured is (to me) utterly awe inspiring and invokes a meditative sense I struggle to capture in built up areas.

A wonderous way to spend a delightful Sunday morning.

No comments: