Monday, September 24, 2012

Joining the Mainstream (of Traffic)

Written September 21st 2012


The truth is true – I am a car owner. And today I discovered that until today, whenever I've been on the roads (driving or being driven) I've been there as a tourist. Today, I was there as part of a large chunk of the country who own a car, drive it and see it as a normal, every day part of the world. And I have to say – it was a rather new experience.

Life for me, to date, has often been one “outside the mainstream” - in fact, I'd say my approach, even if mainly psychological, to most things I've engaged with has been “outside the mainstream”. It's suited me and my temperament but I do recognise that things are mainstream for a reason – because a lot of people do them. And that doesn't necessarily make them the right thing to do, but it makes them interesting simply because so many other people do them.

In particular, driving along (and most of it was motorway driving) I was very well aware that, lots of chunks of metal moving at speeds generally exceeding 60 miles per hour would normally be a receipe for disaster – and yet everyone driving knew the rules to keep themselves, and everyone else safe, and abided by them. Somehow I found a sense of community in that – and was rather taken with this collective safety attitude. That was make take, anyway.

But really, my foray into car ownership seems somehow to symbolise me taking a step “into” the mainstream. I'm still me, I'll still do things in my own sweet way, but there's a level of mellowing so I won't just resist something “mainstream” simply because it is mainstream. Which isn't to say that's how I've lived my life to date, but it feels somehow like there's “less to prove”, or that I'm less concerned about proving it to anyone outside of me, now.

Interesting vehicular musings...

But the reason for ALL of this is because I'm on holiday! It's my first real holiday in what feels like a very long time (probably because it is) and it started brilliantly with a stop over with an old (and awesome) friend last night before I continued my journey south and west this morning. I'd merrily stopped off at a service station to stretch legs and the like when I received a call which made it less of a holiday-day and more of a “this really needs to get sorted out” day. That said, said issue DID get sorted out before sunset and I'm now merrily ensconsed in a large settee type thing in the hotel lounge / bar area. Somewhat disappointing that their free wifi seems to be an utter dead loss but that simply means I'll have plenty of time to do a spot of reading. The rest of the group I'm going to be spending the weekend with are en route down from London (eta some time around 11pm - turned out to be 2am) but as I'm sharing a room with one of them (at the moment I've got a surname and nothing else) curling up in a small ball and sleeping isn't necessarily the best option. Definitely feeling like I'm winding down for a holiday weekend, tho'. And being all gizmo-ed up for the drive I even had some (phone call) company for chunks of the drive which was rather nice. Gizmos are a little unnerving at times, but rather brilliant all the same.

And so that's it for today – I wrote the first sentence of this before The Issue kicked in while I was at the service station and, given the wifi status at present, it may well be some days before it actually gets posted BUT posted it shall be!

No comments: