Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Unexpected Garden

Now, I was always a fan of the secret garden as a child and although that was pretty cool, the reality is that I've just discovered I have an unexpected garden and not only that, an unexpected garden that has just provided me with lunch!

I've been wanting to have a garden or some land to tend to for ages - but it wasn't quite happening. When I moved to Halifax I knew there was some space at the back of the block but wasn't sure how to get to it - that said, I thought I might plant up some pots in my little outside space which is where the stairs to my front door are. As it turns out, those little plantings are now going good guns (the mint is a particular favourite - still fairly small but, brilliantly, means I can have minty hot sweet cocoa. Brilliant!) but even more exciting is that I contacted the other flat owners in the block about maybe doing some planting in the yard behind the house (which turns out to have a fair amount of space) - and they said yes!

This all happened about 2 weeks ago when I decided it would be a brilliant way to get some growing going and get some outside time which didn't involve sitting in a park reading (or sleeping). I knew this was going to be the next weekend I'd really get a chance to get stuck in and it's all worked out perfectly. When I first moved in there was a lot of waste lurking in the yard, plus a skip which was already full but there was no indication it was going to get moved. I'd been clearing the yard by filling up the wheelie bins the council collects periodically and had managed to get the skip collected, but there were still some bits that simply wouldn't fit in the wheelie bin (including a tall fridge/freezer and cooker). I'd been in touch with the council as there was some more general waste that seemed to be accumulating out the back of the bar next door - and today I discovered that someone (the council, someone else, who knows) had been and taken away the big bits! It's still a bit scruffy round the edges but at least it's no longer filled with rubbish.

So, I'd been out and bought a gardening fork with the idea that I'd just turn the soil and get some planting going. Hmm. Nice theory. Immediately outside the back door are some flag stones which peter out very quickly. On starting to dig I discovered that, at some point in the past, it seems there may have been a whole heap of little stones put down, like you get on driveways etc. Boo. Turning the soil wasn't much of an option but I was getting some traction so I pressed ahead. I'd thought already that the way to make sure any plantings didn't just get trodden over would be to create a raised bed. Whether I'd clocked it before or not I don't know, but I found a few old breeze blocks and by the time I was finished, I'd cleared and dug and put out breeze blocks such that I've now got a composter (which is rather full with random plants I dug up, and was made from an up-turned plastic bin - the bin had been in my little "outside the front door" bit but didn't have a lid so this was a perfect use for it), the wheelie bins for the flats are against one wall, I've created a little raised bed (prob about 2 - 3 metres by about 80cm), I've planted a tomato plant I had, two strawberry plants I picked up today and a bunch of seeds including thyme, courgette, spring onions and broccoli (normal and purple sprouting).

Now, I've also finally got round to  reading about permaculture and was a little reticent simply to pull up all the plants ("weeds") that were already there given some of them may have uses but I decided simply to go with what I know in terms of gardening as a starting point, continuing my permaculture studies while my seedlings get going. The strawberries and thyme will, hopefully, be perennial and I'll be investigating the remaining weeds (for there's still plenty of space left to be cultivated!) in due course. Not sure how the seeds will do as the soil really is quite poor - but I'll keep an eye on them and do what I can to encourage them. Including getting some garden soil if needs be. I've also done a bit of experimental potting on my living room window ledge with the sandy soil that seems to have accumulated under my steps - if it works, ace. If not - c'est la vie!

But, even better, I've known for ages that nettles are edible and I'd decided I was going to give "cooking with nettles" a go. And there were plenty of nettles to get going with - indeed, there are still plenty of nettles out there. I've got a pot of them now awaiting further culinary delights as I was a little over enthusiastic with the amount I'd need for the soup I was planning. It ended up being red lentil, potato and nettle soup - and was surprisingly tasty! Why buy spinach in plastic from the supermarket when there are nettles growing outside?! (And, indeed, when with any luck there'll be spinach growing on my window ledge in the near future).

I'm feeling pleased. Very pleased. Even if I do have that tingly sensation of having been nettle-stung a bit ;)

No comments: