Friday, April 30, 2010

Hello, I'm the Landlord

Arrive "home". Enter property. "Oh, hello Francoise...Oh, you're not Francoise," (you're a boy) "Are you the new person moving in? Great. I'm The Landlord - hello!"

Being back in London is a very odd place to be. It brings back all the "oh, I'll put up with it" sense that I had when I was here full time (in as much a I ever *was* here "Full time") and reminds me of just how lucky I am not to be here. But made me wonder why it is I have a flat here. And how it is I have a flat here. And how flats and property are all a bit weird. And how my life is brilliant (and right now, having checked my email, feeling a little bit all alone). And how things move on and change.

This weekend is a strange one. I've been battling a cold for about a week now and I'm either losing the battle or it's showing itself in full force so it can wrap itself up swiftly. I'm definitely hoping for the latter. In the mean time (while I work out which) I have lots of places to be. Although thankfully less than I had originally planned - although my purse is a little lighter for the privilege. Working out one's train travel in advance is a crazy thing.

But mainly it's a sense of disconnection. Looking forward to seeing Connor when he makes it back from being out and about - if only because otherwise I feel like I'm gate crashing my own flat. Which is weird. Although I do like "what they've done with the place". Still feels like the flat I knew but feels very much like other people are living here. As 'twere.

No comments: